Monday, August 20, 2007

Change of plans

Well, I've been meaning to put a new posting here for a week now, but am only now getting around to it. Last week was a pretty interesting and busy week that did not go according to plan. My plan was that I'd feel spectacular by Sunday and enjoy the rest of the week. But my recovery from the IL-2 treatment was slower than I thought it would be. Then on Wednesday, things started to get complicated.

I started to get a real jittery feeling and my heart was racing. On Thursday I had an appointment with the oncologist to check up on my status. My heart rate was very high during this appointment and they told me that I had hyperthyroidism and that needed to be taken care of before they could do anymore IL-2 treatment. So I saw some endocrine people on Friday who said my thyroid hormone levels were higher than they had ever seen in their careers. Not exactly a record I was hoping to hold! They told me I needed to be admitted to the hospital so they could watch me. To make a long story short, we were in the hospital from about 9-7 on Friday and then they finally decided it was safe for me to go home. It was a long and stressful day, but at least they got me on some medicine to take care of the hyperthyroidism.

So here I am on a Monday morning and I won't be in the hospital this week. Not sure about next week either. I'll be seeing my oncologist tomorrow and the endocrine people on Friday - I guess they'll decide if I'm fit for more treatment yet. Overall I'm doing ok I guess. Last week was more difficult than I expected. It's hard to keep my spirits up at all times, but I'm trying!

I guess that is it for now. I'll update as I learn more!

3 comments:

Joelle said...

Thanks for the update Brian! You are in our thoughts a lot which makes this blog really valuable and appreciated! I wish you lots of strength as you take this journey one moment at a time. I'll be thinking of you and your family as you prepare for your next Dr. visit. Joelle (@ MNFI)

Jen Karberg said...

Hey Brian - nice blog you got going here - nice way to keep people updated! I think you need to catch a break soon buddy - you're definitely due! Hyperthyroidism huh - that would explain why you are also so marvelously slender :) Did you have your thyroid taken out then - my Mom did that years ago - it runs in my family!

Sorry you guys won't be getting back up then - we were all hoping you'd be through this week and back up to say hi.

Your house is good, plants are alive but I'm gonna start stealing your tomatoes soon - I'll share my canned products :) Smiles and good luck!

Robin said...

Hi Brian. It’s great that you're blogging to keep us updated. You are in my thoughts and prayers often. I think I’m still a little in shock of your diagnosis. It seems like just last week we were playing games in Jen and Noah’s backyard without a care in the world.
You’re an amazing person with an amazing spirit; I know if anyone can beat this thing, you can!! Keep fighting!!!