Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A new plan

Howdy all. Thanks for all the supportive comments on my last blog entry. I greatly appreciate them! Quite a bit has happened since my last entry. Mostly for the good I think! After hearing the disappointing news from my doctor at UofM, we had to wait for a few days to hear if they had found any trials that I could participate in. Jess and I headed down to Ohio to be with my parents and sister and brother-in-law. We had a nice time with them despite the circumstances.

On Friday I received a call from UofM saying they had talked with a doctor at the Karmanos Cancer Center in Detroit about getting me into a trial and that Karmanos should be calling me soon to set up an appointment. Karmanos called a couple of hours later and we were able to set up an appointment for the following Thursday (last week). We were really excited about this, yet still a bit apprehensive because we didn't have many details about the trial. One positive thing was that the Karmanos doctor had told my UofM doctor that this particular drug had great results in several melanoma patients they had treated.

We spend quite a bit of time at the Karmanos Center in Detroit last Thursday. We met with a doctor for quite awhile. They examined me. They took my blood. And I signed a bunch of paperwork. The doctor gave us more information on Phase I trials in general. They have about 50 of these trials going on at Karmanos. One of the main points of the trials is dose determination, also documenting side effects, and effects of food. Apparently most of these drugs are more targeted than the typical cancer treatment drugs. They are supposed to target specific tumor types and generally have less side effects than the broad spectrum chemotherapy used is most cancer treatments. Sounds good to me!

The doctor also went through some pros and cons of these Phase I trials. The pros definitely seemed to outweigh the cons (although this was a Phase I doctor speaking). In any case, these trials allow you to try the newest and most innovative drugs - drugs that probably will not be on the market for another 10 years. Also, they generally have fewer side effects. In terms of melanoma, the current standard of care does not provide a lot of success against the cancer - as I have found out.

So they had one spot left in a trial that they reserved for me as soon as they had talked to my UofM doctor. People with a variety of cancers have participated in this trial. It is a drug called pazopanib. It works by stopping the blood supply to tumors - by keeping blood vessels from forming around tumors (I think). Apparently they have had several melanoma patients in this study and all of them have shown "beautiful responses" to the drugs (doctor's words). So this is very hopeful. They of course cannot guarantee anything, but they really wanted me to be in the study because of the potential it has for me.

It usually takes several weeks to get through all of the paperwork for these studies, but they fast-tracked me and I started the study yesterday (Monday)! We were at Karmanos from 7:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. yesterday - a very long day. And I think I've had most of my blood taken out of my body the past few days for lab samples. :) But things are going well so far and it feels really great to be doing something rather than sitting around waiting. I will only receive one dose this week and another dose in two weeks. After that I will be given pills to take daily. I have to go into Karmanos a few times this week for blood draws. The schedule is really complicated - all part of the study I guess.

So that is where things stand at the moment. I've been doing pretty well physically. I've been running a fever occasionally - they tell me it is probably tumor fever. Also I've been having some pain in my jaw the last few days from the lump on my neck. That had happened once before and then went away. Hopefully it will go away again. Otherwise, we're just really excited to be participating in this study and hoping for the best as usual.

I guess my closing paragraph is probably getting repetitive, but thanks again for all of your thoughts and prayers. We need them and greatly appreciate them.

Be well,
Brian

6 comments:

RoS said...

Brian: My name is Ro and I am the sister-in-law of Jessica's Aunt Denise. Just wanted to let you know that my friends and I have been praying for your recovery and good spirits. My prayer group has been together for almost 30 years so we've had some good practice time for praying! Also, a woman I work with has placed your name in her prayer group. So - it's a ripple effect! And I am glad you've been given a chance in the trial group. Hang in there!! You are doing something very important that can help tons of people down the road, including yourself. God bless!

Sharon said...

Great News Brian, we are glad to hear you got into the trial group. Keep your positive attitude! I will pass your news on to other folks in the office here and know that we continue to pray for your speedy recovery and that we are keeping you and your family in our thoughts, take care.

Sue Schroeder said...

God Bless you Brian. I am so happy to hear you were accepted into a trial group. That is just wonderful. Our prayers will be answered. Stay strong and positive. We miss your face here at the o'l MOSC. Til we see you again God's blessings to you and your loved ones.

momita said...

Hi Brian. Jim Ferris here. As I was reading your stories Psalm 23 came to mind, "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." David's words are often a great encouragement to me in times of trouble. Hope they are to you as well.

I'm glad you have good news. Hope the trial goes well too.

Jim

pat said...

Brian-
So glad you are in the trial- all good treatments started with a few and we pray that you will be one of those sucesses that leads the way for others. You courage nad faith are truely an inspiration to us all.
Blessings-
joe and pat

Joelle said...

This is great Brian! So optimistic! I am really glad that you and Jessica are traveling to see family - time spent with family can be so healing, fun and worthwhile! Lots of people supporting you and thinking of you here at Michigan Natural Features Inventory!